- JPA is used for persistence, together with bean validation to check constraints before persisting an entity.
- FontAwesome is used for its cool icons. They look great and because they are text, you can easily change their size or color.
- Advanced (from my perspective at least) CSS is used to completely change the look and feel of ListView and Button nodes.
- It has neat dialog windows. The code for these should be pretty reusable.
- It uses JFXtras for its CalendarTextField, which, truth be told, works great but looks hella-ugly.
How to use this application:
First, you need to set up the database. There's two ways to do this:
- In NetBeans, go to the Services window. Under Databases, right-click Java DB and create a new database with the following settings:
- Name: Reminders
- Username: APP
- Password: APP
Then, simply run the application. The database schema will be created upon first use. Once this is done, you can edit persistence.xml to set the table generation strategy to none.
The required libraries are found in the lib folder. You will also need EclipseLink and the Java DB Driver (if you chose option 1), but NetBeans already has those bundled with it.
I hope you have fun with this. Let me know if something isn't working for you, or if you can't figure out the source code. As always, you can find me at myfirstname dot mylastname at icloud dot com (I already have plenty of spam, thanks).